Telogen Effluvium

person suffering from Telogen effluvium hair loss showing his back side of head

Telogen Effluvium

Telogen effluvium or hair shedding which arises during the telogen or resting phase of hair growth cycle. It is in complete opposition to anagen effluvium where hair shedding happens during the growth stages. It is usually caused due to hormonal imbalance but consuming medicines that misbalance hormones can also cause hair loss.

Usually, hair starts to recover on its own because this type of hair loss is temporary. But if there is a pattern found in hair loss, then the hair fall will increase and you will be required to consult a Hair specialist. A doctor usually requests scalp biopsy and then if the hair end is usually roundish bulb or is clubbed there is telogen hair loss.

Scalp biopsy is very important because it also showed anagen to telogen ratio and shows how many hairs are in the resting phase and how many are actively growing. In a normal healthy person, about 85% of hair is actively growing and the rest 15% is resting. Due to shock caused by fever, infections or anything else, there can be an increase in hair loss and at its peak, about 70% of hair can turn into the telogen phase. Normally a hair follicle grows as anagen hair for 4 years or more, and then there is a resting phase of 4 months, which is the telogen phase. Telogen effluvium doesn’t cause complete baldness, although it can be a genetic indicator of future balding.

Telogen effluvium is usually self-correcting. Eating the right diet, with plenty of protein, fruits, and vegetables will induce hair growth and if the hair loss is more then you can come to Hair Free Hair Grow and get the best Hair Transplant.

Close My Cart
Close Recently Viewed
Close
Close
Categories